Universidad de Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Havana, Cuba
St. Thomas University alumni and guests will be gathering to celebrate the university’s 70th anniversary on Saturday, Dec. 10.
STU, originally founded in 1946 as the Universidad de Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Havana, Cuba, by American Augustinian priests from Philadelphia, was ordered to close its doors in 1961 by Fidel Castro. But many of its administrators, faculty and students were determined to continue their education, and came to Miami, Fla., to start a new Catholic men’s college – Biscayne College. In 1984, the college became St. Thomas University.
Students who persevered through the closing of the university in Cuba and fled to the United States to complete their degree will also be in attendance.
All events will take place on STU’s campus, located at: 16401 NW 37 Ave., Miami Gardens, FL 33054.
At noon, mass will be led by Archbishop Thomas Wenski at the Chapel of Saint Anthony.
From 1 to 4 p.m., there will be a lunch reception at the Goldbloom Convocation Hall.
To RSVP ($40 per person) or for more information, please contact Lorena Hidalgo at 305-628-6601 or firstname.lastname@example.org.